Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Mark of Irony.

How cool is this?! I knew those French were good for something! Do you know how much easier my life would be if I could include this symbol in everyday conversation? Hell, think of how much easier everyone's life would be... you could write things like "I think President Bush is doing a great job؟", and no one would misunderstand (or misunderestimate) you. Sure, most of the fun in using irony is in its subtlety (broadcasting the fact that you're being facetious kind of weakens your point's impact), but think of what a boon this would be to stupid people everywhere, who just cannot comprehend irony - or its lovely stepsister, sarcasm - no matter how hard they try. We should demand that this symbol be integrated into popular use, for the good of the whole. The language barrier would finally be breached! Come on! Who's with me?!

-Dabbler

P.S. Am I the only one excited here?

P.P.S. I am not a French-hater. They have contributed many other wonderful things to the world: baguettes, champagne, pasteurization and rabies vaccinations (both inventions of Louis Pasteur), the literary works of Alexandre Dumas, mimes, the guillotine, and those funny little hats.

Update:
Apparently I am not the first to reclaim this wonderful innovation. Kevin Larson beat me to it by 3 entire months. I think I'll blame the French for this...

3 comments:

jin said...

I'm excited!! I'm excited!!

Actually, I think I'll have it tattooed on my left middle finger, that way I can just flip it to the stupid person I'm speaking to as I finish my sentence! ;-)

london cokehead said...

It's about time we upped the grammar stakes. There just isn't enough for the modern language methinks!!

If I can remember right, in "Eats shoots & Leaves" By Lynne Trush, she also mentions the upside-down question mark to show a rhetorical question as well.

Anonymous said...

A keyboard-friendly recasting of the irony mark, called a 'Snark', has been proposed at Typophile, a potentially influential forum of type designers, typographers and graphic designers. This design is simply a ligature of the period and tilde. One primary advantage is that any standard font already has those characters. http://typophile.com/node/28817