Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Agency Blues

I may regret this particular post, but I've spent too much time on it to scrap it now. It's a little song I've been working on, a glimpse of that glamorous Hollywood life, à la Swimming with Sharks. Granted, I'm no lyricist, but bear with me. Oh, and to any of my agency friends who may be reading this: I kid, I kid.

THE AGENCY BLUES

Well I woke up this mornin',
Hit my clock's snooze.
Already feel them:
The Agency Blues.

Eat some cold breakfast,
Tighten my tie,
Who's that square in the mirror?
I try not to cry.

CHORUS:
How long must I labor here,
Payin' my show bizness dues?
My life's in development hell,
Case of the Agency Blues.

Pick up the trades
When I get into work.
Don't even read them,
'Cause they're boring as dirt.

I help to make deals,
For shows I don't see,
Repping the people
I once wanted to be.

CHORUS

A night out with friends
Sure would be sweet,
But I left work at 10
And God, am I beat.

I try to stay cheerful
'Cause whining's for wimps,
But the people I work with
Are glorified pimps.

CHORUS

A man's got to work,
Success is the goal,
But piece by small piece
I'm selling my soul.

Someday I'll make it,
Escape from this grind,
Get discovered or maybe
Just go out of my mind.

Wonder... how much longer,
How much pride can I lose?
My friends, they're calling me sell-out,
My parents are starting to have their doubts,
And I'm just trying to shut them out:

Those straight to video,
Unscripted gameshow,
Hacktastic, gimmicky
Ta-lent A-gen-cy Blu-ues.


Happy Friday, everyone! Great weekends to all... as they say in this town: Love you, mean it, lunch.

5 comments:

jin said...

Catchy tune...I wasn't sure if I should chuckle or feel really bad for you!? Maybe a little of both.

I really hate when people say 'let's do lunch' & you know they don't mean it!

Interesting blog, BTW....I was just random blogging....cheers!

Dawn V. said...

ha! quite catchy. I recognize your blues, I was singing something similar not too long ago. very good for you to be off soon - on to (hopefully) more fulfilling things. In response to your question - seeing as how I'm still naive enough to want to write and create, I think I'll always be in entertainment unless I become a night-writer and day-trader or something... Anyhoo, I am using this downtime to take a break from "show bizness dues" and write and send, maybe teach a tumbling class, PA a commercial or two?, and find a philanthropist... =)

Assistant Atlas said...

That was great. My favorite line?
I try to stay cheerful
'Cause whining's for wimps,
But the people I work with
Are glorified pimps.

Classic.

PS- You've earned a link on my blogroll.

jin said...

Just curious: Did you get through the entire weekend without spilling any coffee on yourself??? ;-)

Dabbler said...

Yup, but I did scald myself with some tea.