Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Escape from L.A.

My big LA send-off shindig was a few days ago, and my lungs have finally stopped feeling like ash. It was all I could have wished for: a glorious night under the stars, with nearly all the friends I have made in this town (as well as quite a few new people whom I regret I will not get to know better), crowded onto the top deck of the Formosa Cafe in West Hollywood; I am proud that I was able to put together an event like this all by myself. I am also proud that I behaved myself the entire night... no black-outs, no drunken tackling of unfortunate women, no destruction of burger restaurants. Yes, this time I was a perfectly affable host, right up until the bartender announced "Last call," whereupon I slammed down several shots and inhaled the last of my cigarettes. (What? I had to get my kicks in somewhere.) And now, with less than a week before I fly out to the east coast, it is time to get organized. Yeah, okay then.

A big part of how I have made such a successful career of dabbling is that I am a compulsive procrastinator, with a diagnosed case of adult ADHD. I know, everyone delays, everyone puts off... but no one can claim to have made as much an art of it as I. For the past 3 days, despite my honest-to-God best efforts, I appear to have accomplished... well, nothing, in all of my multiple aborted attempts to pack up my studio apartment and sell off my furniture. Right now, it looks like I have at least managed to move everything in my apartment around quite nicely - to the point that it looks like I experienced a violently psychotic episode. Tables and chairs lay strewn about, halfway taken apart, because in the middle of removing the legs from my glass-top coffee table I decided I needed a break and spent the rest of the afternoon watching Entourage episodes. Then I needed to take a break from that to order pizza with my next-door neighbors, and eat until the food coma washed over me so I had to retire to my bed to nap it off. My first official day of unemplyoment, and I'm already falling apart.

Well, not tomorrow! Tomorrow I will work: I will sell my furniture to thrift shops or donate to charities; I will call to confirm my appointment to ship my car; I will put aside the cigarettes, but not the booze (never the booze); I will pack, I will clean, I will be productive with what little time I have left, so for once in my entire life I am not left panicking at the Zero Hour! Or, maybe instead I will finish watching the 9th season of Friends. I don't know, it's a little early to tell right now.

3 comments:

Tiffanie said...

Dabble away. :)

Is it sync'd yet? said...

Pack it all up in a moving van, drive from thrift shop to shop selling what you can then dump it all at the Salvation Army. What they will not take, drop at the dump.

Clean slate! Tabla Rosa! Free Ball'n...what ever you want to call it...

Gnat.
.

jin said...

I'm one of those procrastinators too...I get off on waiting until that last hour when you have to RUN RUN RUN...nearly out of breath, panicking...hurry HURRY HURRRYYY.....30 minutes left.....heart is racing faster.....20 minutes left.....shit, shit!! ..... face gets flushed....head starts to spin.....5 minutes left...OMG!! I'll never be done in time....ZOOOOMMMmmmmmm........


Times up.

I usually do get it all done, just like I'm sure you do, too. It's in our blood. Learn to live with it. I haven't yet, but if you figure it out, please let me know, will ya?!!?

Happy travels & quit smoking!!
:-)