Friday, April 14, 2006

The Great Cell Phone Massacre of '06.

Apologies, Dear Readers, for my relatively sparse correspondence this week. I have been distracted as of late, with annoying "real world" problems, such as preparing for my replacment at work, trying to sell my apartment furniture before the big move, and organizing a kick-ass going-away party.

And then there is my cell phone.

In recent weeks, many of my possessions have been spontaneously falling apart on me. Until today, I was handling it all with (what I thought was) remarkable patience and poise. There was my car, but its damages can be easily attributed to the 2-accidents-in-1-weekend phenomenon from a month ago, rather than to some malicious cosmic entity. Then my VCR broke a few weeks ago, followed by my DVD player 1 week later, and I resorted to watching movies on my laptop computer. Around that time my wristwatch also broke, so I started keeping track of the time on my cellular phone instead. Then one day, the phone suddenly stopped getting a signal in my apartment, so I began stepping outside in order to have a phone conversation; a week after that, my phone refused to receive a signal even there, so I had to walk to the edge of the street outside my building in order to continue enjoying cellular service; then, 2 weeks ago, my cell phone's display screen stopped working, which made calling people in my address book difficult and reading text messages impossible. And here is where the fun begins...

Finally deciding that something must be done, I visit a Cingular store (for my service is "supplied" by Cingular Wireless) this past weekend, in order to get my phone either repaired or replaced. It is there that I discover my 1-year warranty on the phone expired literally The Day before its screen died, and I am thus expected to pay over $100 to get it replaced. I point out the fantastic coincidence that my phone stopped working 24 hours after its insurance coverage ended, and the Cingular employee there takes pity on me, types something into his computer, and informs me he has extended my warranty for an additional week so I can send my phone in for a free replacement. All I need do is call the number he hands me, and a new phone will be mailed to me within days. As a matter of fact, this is not the case, because upon trying the number I learn that Cingular's repair hotline is closed on the weekend; however, I am content to wait until Monday to try again, pleased with the knowledge that - for once - my cell phone company is not going to try to screw me.

Come Monday, I call the service hotline and, after being on hold for over half an hour, am informed that, regardless of what the Cingular store employee promised me, my warranty was not extended, and I will have to pay the $100-something fee for a new phone. Re-explaining my situation, I am able to convince the sympathetic customer service representative to make an exception in my case and extend my warranty, and he transfers me over to the exchanges department. After being kept on hold for another 20 minutes, I speak to yet another operator, make all the arrangements, and then am I told once again that there is no mention in my file of any warranty extension, and I must pay a hefty fee (ballpark figure of $100) for any repairs or exchanges. At this point, my patience runs out, and I demand to speak to a supervisor. On hold for 5 minutes, then the operator gets back on the line and announces they will extend my warranty after all. Flushed with triumph and pride for taking charge of the situation so awesomely, I agree to pay extra for express shipping, thrilled that in 2 days I will receive a brand-new, fully-functioning replacement phone.

Cut to 4 days later: Friday, today. Have not received my phone, have not received any updates. Start to worry that maybe I was not so triumphant or awesome after all. Call Cingular Wireless, give them my confirmation number... and I am told that the order was CANCELLED the day after I made it, because phones that have been owned for less than a month cannot be exchanged. Blood begins pounding in my head as I explain... as... calmly... as... possible... that I have owned my current phone for over a year. The operator checks his records and then sees "someone" made a mistake and cancelled the order because they thought I purchased my phone in April 2006, not 2005. They apologize for the confusion, and assure me that the phone will be sent as speedily as possible -- but I am aware that I will be charged $115 because the warranty expired, right?

Memo to corporate executives of Cingular Wireless: may you and all your kind burn in a hell run by your very own "customer service" operators. I cannot possibly express how much pain and sorrow I wish upon your heads right now -- simply know that I am usually not a violent person, but right now I would gleefully sodomize each and every one of you with samples from your line of cellular products, your screams for mercy sweet ringtones to my ears. Until I leave the country, sleep with both eyes open, you miserable bastards.

13 comments:

jin said...

Ouch!

I am sorry to hear of your pain; but a tiny bit relieved that this happens to other people. I was beginning to think it was just me. Mine was with Earthlink over dsl equipment that was not used & promptly returned, a story much like yours...time wasted...boiling anger...retributional witchcraft...heeheehee...not really, but sometimes don't you just wish???

Hey, promise to let us all know if customer service differs outside the US.

Cheer up, it's Easter...go bite the head off of a chocolate bunny. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh dear!! I had a similar experience with Sprint when trying to get my upgraded cell phone a few months ago. The screen of my trusty old phone died. I ordered the upgrade after hours on the phone with customer service only to have everything we discussed cancelled a day later after I, too, paid for express shipping. The final ironic frustration-- the day I finally received the new cell phone, the old cell phone's screen suddenly came back to life. I have tried to come to terms with the fact we will not win these battles...best of luck to ya though. :)

Anonymous said...

I too had a similar experience (well not entirely similar) with AT&T. I was on tour with the circus so I changed my plan to suit my needs, but the customer service rep messed up to the point where I was charged $700 for their services and it was taken directly from my checking account, overdrawing me by $300. Whilst I was sorting that out (over a 2 month period), I dropped my phone in the ocean off of RI. I went to the friend AT&T store where the customer service rep proceeded to tell me that clearly I'm stupid and that I should take whatever phone he gives me since I'm not capable of taking care of a phone myself (almost word-for-word).

Gee modern technology can be fun.

Anonymous said...

I hate Sprint just as much. Hell is cell phone company customer service.

Is it sync'd yet? said...

In the imortal words of Admn Sandler:

Fuck'm in the goat ass.



Gnat.
.

Is it sync'd yet? said...

I want, just once, to have customer service have a button on the phone you can hit to shock the christ out of them. Just once, I want to blast those little bastards on the other end of the phone with about 130volts of pure passion driven from my soul hate.

ZAP ZAP ZAP FUCKING ZAp!

If you can't tell I know your pain.

Gnat.
.

jin said...

LMAO at what gnat said!!! :-D
What I wouldn't give for one of those buttons...

Tiffanie said...

OMG I am laughing so hard! The girls in the next office are wondering what in the heck I am laughing at!! But I totally believe you, I absolutely detest calling those companies for anything.

Tiffanie said...

Oh and I'm not trying to be inconsiderate, I am only laughing because I have been there.

I am sorry for your hassle.

Peggy Archer said...

Wow, and I thought Verizon was bad.

That's just painful.

Dabbler said...

Thanks everyone, for your well-wishes. As of yesterday afternoon, I have a new phone... whether or not Cingular will try to charge me for it remains to be seen on my next bill.

As funny as these experiences are in retrospect, is it me or is there something VERY wrong with an industry which (according to all the responses this post received) habitually screws over its clients? Whatever happened to "the customer is always right?"

Oh, and I think Gnat is really onto something there....

Anonymous said...

They can walk all over us and piss us off and have us speaking to outsourced customer "service" reps who know almost no English because they know that there is no other alternative but another crappy cell phone company. Bastards.

Assistant Atlas said...

Hilarious. Although, I guess, not for you. I must say, I recently got a new phone after essentially the same thing happened to me and they were really nice about it, it took less than twenty minutes and it cost about $10. (Sprint- slightly less evil than some!)

Which is why I always go into a store if I can. Because it's a lot harder to totally screw with someone if they're standing right in front of you.

Also, my roomie has Cingular and if he's late with the bill, we start getting calls like they're gonna come bust his kneecaps if they don't get a check soon.