Thursday, March 09, 2006

Introductions are in order, I suppose.

Since some people appear to actually be reading this thing, I should probably take a moment to give a little more detailed description of who I am and why I am writing here. I debated for months about whether or not to start a blog. Everyone thinks they have something to say, everyone wants to be heard... but did I really have what it took to be an engaging writer? The answer is I still don't know. I got myself a blogsite at the beginning of the year, but only sat on it until just a couple weeks ago, when I was at work and my frustration with my ongoing application to the Peace Corps had reached its boiling point. With no other viable/legal way to vent my anger, I wrote my first blog entry, aka "Stupid GODDAMN Peace Corps." And a couple weeks and a few entries later, here we are.

A little more about this humble Dabbler, should you care... in my current day job, I work as an assistant at one of the more powerful talent agencies in Hollywood, where I spend most of my day answering phones and helping my boss look over entertainment contracts for our clients. I do this without a law degree, so I'm not as qualified as I could (or probably should) be. I don't find the work especially stimulating, but I have learned a lot about contract negotiation, and I figured working in a big agency would be a good jumping point into a more interesting job in show biz. I have been living in Hollywood for just over a year now -- before that I lived in New York City (okay, Brooklyn), temping and working in theater and television production. I started my application to the Peace Corps while I was still in NYC, but put it on hold when I moved out here because I had always been curious about life in Los Angeles. Half a year into life in California, I re-opened my application: I realized that if I didn't at least try the Peace Corps I would forever wonder "what if," and if I really miss the entertainment industry I will still be young enough to jump back in upon my return.

I don't want to bore my newfound audience to tears, so I will leave the exposition here. Should any of you have further questions, feel free to leave me a comment. I promise to do my very best not to be boring, or too angry, or try too hard to be clever. Being very codependent, I will pretty much do anything to ensure you do not leave me. I am truly flattered that you took the time to visit my blog, and I hope that it lives up to both of our expectations.

Most sincerely,

A Blushing Dabbler

2 comments:

jin said...

I enjoyed the post I read yesterday so much I decided to come back today & read past entries.

I am also worried about becoming "boring, or too angry, or try too hard to be clever" like you stated. Esp. when you find out that people are reading it regularly.

They say a writer is only as good as his last book. Does that mean a blogger is only as good as his last post? Doesn't that put so much more pressure on one? It almost makes you want to start a new blog, a more anonymous blog, where you can be truthful about blogging on your other blog!?

The ";" I use it sooo much. I hope at least half the time it's used properly.

Thanks for the comment about chivalry...I like your description! :-)

Dabbler said...

Believe, me after posting "Agency Blues," I am more worried than ever about my anonymity. I hurt a few feelings with that post... apparently, the "glorified pimps" line in particular hit a nerve. Who'd have thought?