Friday, May 26, 2006

Cell Wars: Cingular Strikes Back

Hello, one and all! (Mostly one, I imagine, because that's probably how many readers I have after nearly 2 weeks of bloggerly silence.) I am back from my adventures in New York City, and am scrambling to tie up all loose ends before leaving the United States for West Africa in roughly a week and a half. Just a heads-up: I have made an administrative decision to start a new blog during my volunteer work overseas (the Peace Corps has several stipulations about blogs run by their volunteers, and I am afraid that this one is a little too irreverant to make the cut), which shall be titled "A Dabbler's Diary: The Burkina Files," a sequel of sorts to this little rag. From what I have observed in blogs run by current volunteers in Burkina Faso, they are able to update them roughly every few weeks to a month... since I hardly expect everyone to be obsessively checking my blog day after day, waiting with baited breath for a new entry, you may, if you like, send me your email address, and you will receive notice of when the blog is updated. Tune in again soon... I'll have a link to this new blog up and running shortly!

And now, enough shameless advertising of my soon-to-be new blog. I'm back, and I've got a story to tell, involving a boy, his cell phone, and a bunch of $&@%!'s who run a cellular company.

I really do have to hand it to the folks at Cingular Wireless: they know when they've got you by the balls, and they're not afraid to squeeze. You may remember my earlier issues with them, the last time my cell phone went on strike. In the spine-tingling conclusion of that harrowing tale, sheer determination triumphed over the unholy alliance of corporate greed and bureaucratic red tape, and the little guy - me - won; I got a new phone, and I did not have to pay a dime. But now, Dear Readers, Cingular has opted to continue the saga... with a vengeance. Just yesterday, my new phone - barely a month into its young life - learned a new trick: simply put, when using it, I can no longer hear what the person on the other line is saying, unless I put them on speakerphone. This makes holding an ordinary phone conversation incredibly awkward, as everyone within 20 feet of me can hear everything I'm shouting into the phone, as well as the recipient's response. On the upside, there is now no further reason for the government to tap my phone - all they need do is stand near me. I took the phone into a Cingular store to see if they could fix it (not exactly holding my breath), and while there learned that: a) the ear-piece speaker had blown and was impossible to restore; and b) my 1-month grace period to return the device had coincidentally just ended days ago, and if I wanted a replacement phone I would have to pay full price. Dear evil geniuses at Cingular Wireless: disregarding my previous threats of sodomy to your persons with your own electronic gadgets, can we not agree that you already charge me more than enough each month (what with phone bills, "government fees," and whatnot), that it may be a little excessive to specifically design your hardware to expire a day after their warranties expire? I deal with all the other technological glitches of this phone quite passively... from the interrupted service, to the sudden loss of signal, to the mysterious connection with another person's phone conversation when I'm in midsentence. Is it the money? Or is it the perverse pleasure you gain from knowing you screwed over yet another long-suffering customer?

Fear not, Dear Readers, there is a light at the tunnel. I took this latest development as a sign that I should finally look into terminating my cell phone service, as I will be leaving the country in - let's face it - a matter of days, now. Now, pay attention - this is why it is a good reason to join the Peace Corps (or at least tell people you're joining the Peace Corps): when I called to cancel my account, I still had over a year left on my "agreement" with Cingular... however, the lady I talked to on the phone was so impressed with how "noble" and "brave" I was by volunteering with the Peace Corps, that she offered to cut my termination fee in half. I didn't even ask, she just threw it out there. Now, how often does THAT happen in the cellular business world?! (Ok, you don't have to tell me... trust me, I know.) Yeah, yeah, she didn't waive the entire fee, but it's not like I discovered a cure for cancer or the secret to flight. I mean, an evil empire has got to pay the bills like everyone else, right? All the same, this very nice lady made me reconsider my death wish on the entire workforce of that corporation... so I proclaim here and now, she alone may live when the revolution comes.

8 comments:

Tiffanie said...

LMFAO at can no longer hear what the person on the other line is saying.

;)

Tiffanie said...

The reason it cracked me up so much is because I must have the same phone as you.

Thanks for the smiles.

Jennifer said...

You know, it could also be that I am in cahoots with the cell phone company and was rather peeved that you spent time in the city and didn't even contact me ONCE! :-b That's it... it's war!

Dabbler said...

Tiffanie - Always good to know I'm not alone in this.

Jennifer - I'm so sorry I didn't call. You could use my posting gap on this blog as evidence that my visit to NYC was actually a lot more stressful than fun. I didn't get to see half the people I should have, and you definitely fall into that category. I know, it's hardly an excuse - please expect a more personal, incredibly apologetic phone call from me shortly... that is, if you don't mind being on speakerphone.

Jennifer said...

Hardly and excuse, but I am sorry that your trip to the Big (and occasionally wormy) Apple wasn't all you had hoped. I look forward to berating you on speakerphone :)

Helene said...

cool have a great trip! post the new site link and I will read it!

cheers! Kate

jin said...

I HATE phones period.
Cell, pay, regular, cordless, old-fashioned rotary. You name it, I hate it!
Why, you ask? Well, the person on the other end usually wants to have a lengthy conversation, all the while, the damn phone is buzzing in your ear!? Then they ask you questions...etc, etc. BORING!
Give me in-person where I can be myself or give me the internet where I can be sexy. Anything else is simply uncivilized!!!
Hahaha!!! ;-)

Is it sync'd yet? said...

I really do hate my cell phone. With a smoldering death like haze tht clouds my judgement up to about the time I answer "Hello?".

Gnat.
.